Place:


Great Barton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Barton like this:

BARTON (Great), a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; near the Bury St. Edmunds railway, 2½ miles N E of Bury St. Edmunds. It contains the villages of Great Barton and East Barton; and has a post office, of the name of Barton under Bury St. Edmunds. Acres, 4,030. Real property, £4,794. Pop., 848. Houses, 200. Barton Hall is the seat of Sir H. E. Bunbury, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, not reported.* Patron, SirJ. T. Bunbury, Bart. The church contains several old monuments, and is good. There are a free school, and four alms-houses.

Great Barton through time

Great Barton is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Barton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Barton, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7019

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Barton ".