Place:


Barsham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barsham like this:

BARSHAM, a parish in Wangford district, Suffolk near the river Waveney, 2 miles W by S of Beccles r station. Post Town, Beccles. Acres, 1,871. Real property, £2,976. Pop., 239. Houses, 49. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich Value, £531. ...


Patron, Mrs. Anna M. Suckling. The church has a remarkable east front of 1617-37, and a round west tower; and contains a round decorated font, a brass of 1380, and a brick altar-tom of 1599. Echard, the ecclesiastical historian and early gazetteer writer, who died in 1730, and Catherine, the mother of Lord Nelson, were natives.

Barsham through time

Barsham is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barsham, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7018

Date accessed: 23rd June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barsham ".