Place:


Aldringham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldringham like this:

ALDRINGHAM, a village and a parish in Blything district, Suffolk. The village stands near the coast and near the Aldborough railway, 2¼ miles N of Aldborough. It was formerly a market town; and it still has fairs on 11 Oct. and 1 Dec. The parish contains also the hamlet of Thorpe. Post Town, Aldborough under Saxmundham. ...


Acres, 1,783; of which 80 are water. Real property, £1,913. Pop., 471. Houses, 111. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; and includes the curacy of Thorpe. Value, £59. Patron, the Rev. E. Hollond. The church is transition Norman, and has an octagonal font. There is a Baptist chapel.

Aldringham through time

Aldringham is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldringham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldringham in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6995

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldringham ".