Place:


Acton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Acton like this:

ACTON, a parish in Sudbury district, Suffolk; near the river Stour, 2½ miles N by E of Sudbury r. station. It has a post office under Sudbury. Acres, 2,811. Real property, £4,159. Pop., 558. Houses, 122. The property belongs chiefly to two. Acton Place contains some old paintings and other interesting objects. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £255.* Patron, Earl Howe. The church contains five brasses, and is good.

Acton through time

Acton is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Acton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Acton, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6991

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Acton ".