Place:


Walsoken  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walsoken like this:

WALSOKEN, a suburban village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Wisbeach and county of Norfolk. The village is suburban to Wisbeach; communicates, by a bridge, with that town and its r. station; and has a post-office under Wisbeach.—The parish comprises 4,656 acres. Real property, £15,033. ...


Pop., 2,683. Houses, 665. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £1,280.* Patron, the Rev. J. Davies. The church is Norman, and has a tower with lofty spire. A chapel of ease was built in 1863. There are two Primitive Methodist chapels, a national school, and considerable charities.—The sub-district contains three parishes, and comprises 19,210 acres. Pop., 5,435. Houses, 1,290.

Walsoken through time

Walsoken is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walsoken itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walsoken in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/698

Date accessed: 03rd April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walsoken ".