Place:


Great Wigborough  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Wigborough like this:

WIGBOROUGH (Great), a parish in Lexden district, Essex; 6 miles SW of Wivenhoe r. station, and 7 SSW of Colchester. It includes part of Tiptree-Heath chapelry; and its Post town is Peldon, under Colchester-Acres, 2,585. Real property, £3,142. Pop., 428. Houses, 90. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Barking Abbey; and passed to St Osyth priory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £591.* Patron, the Rev. F. Watson. The church stands on an eminence, with a commanding view, and is tolerable. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and ten acres of Church land.

Great Wigborough through time

Great Wigborough is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Wigborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Wigborough, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6977

Date accessed: 04th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Wigborough ".