Place:


Wethersfield  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wethersfield like this:

WETHERSFIELD, a village and a parish in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands 6¼ miles NW of Braintree r. station, is an ancient place, and has a post-office under Braintree. The parish includes two hamlets, and comprises 4,213 acres. Real property, £8,547. Pop., 1,727. Houses, 389. ...


The manor, with W. Manor House, belongs to T. White, Esq. W. Hall, Little Codham Hall, and Summers Hall are chief residences. Codham Hall was once a Roman Catholic chapel, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £320. Patron, Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The church is ancient. There are an Independent chapel, endowed schools with £106 a year, and charities £172.

Wethersfield through time

Wethersfield is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wethersfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wethersfield, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6970

Date accessed: 23rd June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wethersfield ".