Place:


Wendens Ambo  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wendens Ambo like this:

WENDENS-AMBO, a parish, with a village, in Saffron-Walden district, Essex; at Audley-End r. station, 1½ mile SW of Saffron-Walden. It has a post-office under Saffron-Walden, and a railway hotel; and it comprises the ancient parishes of Great W. and Little W., united in 1662. Acres, 1,220. ...


Real property, £2,550. Pop., 419. Houses, 91. Trout Hall is the seat of S. Robinson, Esq.; and W. Halland W. Place are farmhouses. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £220.* Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church was recently in bad condition. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £5.

Wendens Ambo through time

Wendens Ambo is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wendens Ambo itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wendens Ambo, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6967

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wendens Ambo".