East Tilbury  Essex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Tilbury like this:

TILBURY (East), a parish in Orsett district, Essex; on the Thames, 1 mile ESE of Low-Street r. station, and 5 E by S of Grays-Thurrock. Post town, West Tilbury, under Romford. Acres, 3,237; of which 1,125 are water. Real property, £3,563. Pop., 403. Houses, 79. The property is much subdivided. ...

T. House is the seat of E. Williams, Esq. The residence of St. Chad, Bishop of the East Saxons, was here. An ancient ferry over the Thames also was here; and is believed to have been that by which the Emperor Claudius crossed the river in pursuit of the Britons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £244.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good; and had a lofty tower which, in the time of Charles II., was battered down by the Dutch fleet. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.

East Tilbury through time

East Tilbury is now part of Thurrock district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thurrock has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Tilbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Tilbury, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 04th July 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Tilbury ".