Place:


Thorpe le Soken  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thorpe le Soken like this:

THORPE-LE-SOKEN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands near the Tendring Hundred railway, 12 miles ESE of Colchester; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; and has a post-office under Colchester, a police station, and fairs on the Monday before Whitsuntide and on 29 Sept. ...


The parish comprises 3,203 acres. Real property, £6,905. Pop. in 1851, 1,294; in 1861, 1,159. Houses, 261. The property is subdivided. T. Hall is the seat of J. M. Leake, Esq.; and Comarques, of Capt. Runnacles. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £220. Patrons, Trustees. The church is good; and there are a Baptist chapel and a British school.—The sub-district contains 9 parishes. Acres, 24,176. Pop., 5,776. Houses, 1,242.

Thorpe le Soken through time

Thorpe le Soken is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thorpe le Soken itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thorpe le Soken, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6935

Date accessed: 11th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thorpe le Soken ".