Place:


Marks Tey  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marks Tey like this:

MARKS-TEY, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the Great Eastern railway, at the junction of the line forking to Sudbury and to Halstead, 5 miles W of Colchester. It has a station at the railway junction, and a post office under Colchester. Acres, 1,214. Real property, £2,120. Pop. in 1851,437; in 1861,396. Houses, 82. The property is subdivided. Marks-Tey Hall was an ancient moated mansion, and is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £234. * Patron, Balliol College, Oxford. The church is good.

Marks Tey through time

Marks Tey is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marks Tey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marks Tey, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6930

Date accessed: 19th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marks Tey ".