Place:


Terling  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Terling like this:

TERLING, a parish, with a village, in Witham district, Essex; 3½ miles W of Witham-Junction r. station. It has a post-office under Witham, and a fair on Whit-Monday. Acres, £3,205. Real property, £5,798. Pop., 902. Houses, 195. T. Place was once a palace of the Bishops of Norwich; had a large chapel, with privilege of sanctuary; gave shelter, in the time of Henry III., to Hubert de Burgh; was also a residence of Henry VIII.; passed, in his time, to the Audleys; and , with the manor, belongs now to Lord Rayleigh. ...


Roman coins were found in 1824. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £370.* Patron, Lord Rayleigh. The church is ancient but good. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £30.

Terling through time

Terling is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Terling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Terling, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6927

Date accessed: 14th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Terling ".