Springfield  Essex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Springfield like this:

SPRINGFIELD, a suburb and a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex. The suburb stands on the river Chelmer, adjacent to Chelmsford; communicates with that town by two bridges, crossing two branches of the river; takes its name from numerous springs, falling into the Chelmer; contains wharves, gasworks, and the county jail; and has a post-office under Chelmsford. ...

The jail was built in 1825, at a cost of £56,000; and has capacity for 330 male and 42 female prisoners. The parish comprises 2,878 acres. Real property, £13,300; of which £786 are in canal-cuts from the Chelmer. Pop. in 1861, 2,566; of whom 242 were in the jail. Houses, 536. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £1,016.* Patron, the Rev. A. Pearson. The church was erected in 1867. A chapel of ease was built in 1843. Charities, £42. Goldsmith resided sometime at S., and is supposed to make allusions to it in his "Deserted Village." Strutt, the author of "Sports and Pastimes,'' was a native.

Springfield through time

Springfield is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Springfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Springfield, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 18th July 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Springfield".