Place:


Ramsey  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ramsey like this:

RAMSEY, a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands on a creek of the river Stour, 2 miles W by S of Dovercourt r. station, and 3 W S W of Harwich; commands a fine view over the river Stour; and has a post-office under Harwich, and a fair on 15 June. The parish comprises 5, 238 acres of land, and 1, 455 of water. ...


Real property, £6, 856. Pop., 605. Houses, 139. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to E. W. Garland, Esq. Stour Hall, Hill House, Foulton Hall, and South Hall are chief residences. About 500 acres were recently embanked from the sea. Copperas has been worked near Stourwood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £301.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church stands on a hill, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial school, and charities £38.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ramsey, in and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6869

Date accessed: 08th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ramsey ".