Place:


High Ongar  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Ongar like this:

ONGAR (High), a village and a parish in Ongar district, Essex. The village stands on the river Roding, 1¼mile N E of Ongar r. station; is sometimes called Old O., Great O., and Little O.; and has a post-office, of the name of High Ongar, under Brentwood. The parish contains also the hamlet of Astelyns, and comprises 4, 510 acres. ...


Real property, £8, 701. Pop., 1, 177. The property is much divided. Ongar Park and Forest Hallare chief residences. Astelyns House was an ancientseat, in which the Duke of Norfolk is said to have takenshelter when fleeing from Queen Elizabeth; and is nowa farm-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £1, 382.* Patron, the Rev. H. J. Earle. The church is good; and has a brick tower, re-built in 1858, at a cost of £800. There are alms-houses, and other charities £8.

High Ongar through time

High Ongar is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about High Ongar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Ongar, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6849

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " High Ongar ".