Place:


Chipping Ongar  Essex

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Chipping Ongar like this:

Ongar, (or Chipping Ongar), small market town and par. with ry. sta., Essex, in NW. of co., on river Roding, 6 miles E. of Epping and 23½ NE. of London, 511 ac., pop. 992; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. Ongar is a very old place, and was anciently called Aungre. It occupies the site of an ancient entrenchment, and was a Roman settlement, of which numerous relics have been found. Remains of an ancient castle are also here. The Roding is crossed at Ongar by a handsome 3-arched bridge.

Chipping Ongar through time

Chipping Ongar is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chipping Ongar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chipping Ongar, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6848

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chipping Ongar ".