South Ockendon  Essex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Ockendon like this:

OCKENDON (South), a village and a parish in Orsett district, Essex. The village stands 3¾ miles N N W of Grays r. station, and 6½ S W of Romford; and has a post-office under Romford. The parish is sometimes called Ockendon-Rokely. Acres, 2, 907. Real property, £6, 349. Pop. ...

in 1851, 1,021; in 1861, 1, 267. Houses, 231. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the con-version of a large farm into a market-garden, and from extensive drainage operations. The property is much subdivided. There are several ancient mounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £845.* Patron, the Rev. P. Lawrence. The church is ancient; was variously restored, enlarged, and rebuilt in 1866; has a richly carved Norman doorway and a round tower, the latter raised to an additional height of 18 feet in 1866; includes a chapel restored in 1863, and a new chancel built in 1866; cost, for the work done in the latter year, exclusive of the chancel, £2, 173; and contains a canopied brass of Sir J. Bruyn of 1480, and two other brasses. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and a British school.

South Ockendon through time

South Ockendon is now part of Thurrock district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thurrock has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Ockendon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Ockendon, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 20th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Ockendon".