Place:


Little Oakley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Oakley like this:

OAKLEY (Little), a parish in Tendring district, Essex; 1¾ mile N E of Great Oakley, and 2¾ S S W of Dover court r. station. Post-town, Harwich. Acres, 1, 119; of which 90 are water. Real property, £1, 903. Pop., 306. Houses, 66. The property is chiefly divided between two. The manor belongs to SirH. ...


Rowley, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £428.* Patron, the Rev. G. Burmester. The church comprises decorated English nave and chancel, and later English tower; and contains a new stone reredos and a new font. There is a national school.

Little Oakley through time

Little Oakley is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Oakley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Oakley, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6845

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Oakley ".