Place:


Great Oakley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Oakley like this:

OAKLEY (Great), a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands 2½ mile W of Ramseycreck, 4 S by E of Wrabness r. station, and 5¾ S W of Harwich; and has a post-office under Harwich, and a fair on 25 April. The parish comprises 3,049 acres. Real property, £5, 953. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 177; in 1861, 1,038. Houses, 229. The property is subdivided. The manor, with Great Oakley Hall belongs to G. Bull, Esq. Howbridge Hall is the seat of F. Stanford, Esq.; the Lodge, of J. Salmon, Esq.; and Brooklands, of Mrs. Yates. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £875.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient; and consists of nave and chancel, with bell-chamber. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and two alms-houses.

Great Oakley through time

Great Oakley is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Oakley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Oakley, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6844

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Oakley ".