Place:


Netteswell  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Netteswell like this:

NETTESWELL, or Nettleswell, a parish, with a village, in Epping district, Essex; 1 mile S of Burnt-Mill r. station, 2 S of the river Stort at the boundary with Herts, and 2 S S W of Harlow. Post-town, Harlow. Acres, 1, 521. Real property, £2, 490. Pop., 335. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor was given by Harold II. to Waltham abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £205.* Patron,Phelips, Esq. The churchconsists of nave and chancel, with tower and spire; and is good. There is a free school, with £35 a year from endowment.

Netteswell through time

Netteswell is now part of Harlow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harlow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Netteswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Netteswell, in Harlow and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6837

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Netteswell ".