Place:


Moreton  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moreton like this:

MORETON, a village and a parish in Ongar district, Essex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Roding, 3 miles N by W of Ongar r. station, and 5¾ NE of Epping; and has a post office under Ongar. The parish comprises 1,421 a.res. Real property, £2,549. P op., 497. Houses, 104. ...


The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £375. * Patron, St. John s College, Cambridge. The church is a plain building, with brick tower and shingled spire. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed national school, with £35 a year, and charities £20.

Moreton through time

Moreton is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moreton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moreton, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6834

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moreton ".