Place:


Mucking  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mucking like this:

MUCKING, a parish in Orsett district, Essex; adjacent to the Thames, and on the London and Southend railway, ¾ of a mile S by W of Stanford-le-Hope r. station, and 2¾ E S E of Orsett. It contains the hamlet of Mucking-Ford; and its post town is Romford. Acres, 2, 631; of which 485 are water. ...


Real property, £2, 612. Pop., 253. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. A nunnery, a cell to Barking abbey, was formerly here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £219. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church was recently rebuilt, and has a tower. There are a parochial school, and charities £11.

Mucking through time

Mucking is now part of Thurrock district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thurrock has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mucking itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mucking, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6832

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mucking ".