Place:


Matching  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Matching like this:

MATCHING, a village and a parish in Epping district, Essex. The village stands 3¾ miles E of Harlow r. station, and 8 NE of Epping. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ovesham; and has a post office, of the name of Matching-Green, under Harlow. Acres, 2,384. Real property, £3,996. ...


Pop., 665. Houses, 140. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Essex hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £160.* Patrons, the Trustees of Felstead school, on the nomination of the Bishop of Rochester. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and was recently in disrepair. A chapel once stood in Ovesham. There is a Church school.

Matching through time

Matching is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Matching itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Matching, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6826

Date accessed: 30th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Matching ".