Place:


Langdon Hills  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langdon Hills like this:

LANGDON-HILLS, a parish in Orsett district, Essex; 2¾ miles N by W of Stanford-le-Hope r. station, and 5½ S of Billericay. It takes its name from one of the highest hills in the county, commanding a splendid view over the Thames; and it includes the hamlet of West Lee, which was anciently a separate parish. ...


Post-town, North Ockendon, under Romford. Acres, 1,775. Real property, £1,782. Pop., 289. Houses, 56. The manor belonged formerly to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church stands on the W side of the hill; and comprises nave, chancel, and N chapel.

Langdon Hills through time

Langdon Hills is now part of Thurrock district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thurrock has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langdon Hills itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langdon Hills, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6797

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langdon Hills ".