Place:


Kirby le Soken  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirby le Soken like this:

KIRBY-LE-SOKEN, a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands adjacent to the Colchester and Walton railway, 2 miles W by N of Walton steam boat pier, and 12 by road SSW of Harwich; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Colchester.—The parish contains also the hamlets of Kirby-Cross, Sneating, and Upper-Street; and includes several islands and marshes on the N. ...


Acres, 4, 757. Real property, £5, 880. Pop., 879. Houses, 182. The property is divided among a few. There is a wharf on a creek. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £240.* Patron, Three Trustees. The church was partly rebuilt in 1833, at a cost of £1, 200; and it retains the original chancel and tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a parochial school, and charities £13.

Kirby le Soken through time

Kirby le Soken is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirby le Soken itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirby le Soken, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6792

Date accessed: 05th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirby le Soken ".