Place:


Inworth  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Inworth like this:

INWORTH, a village and a parish in Witham district, Essex. The village stands on a rising ground, 1½ mile SE of Kelvedon r. station, and 5 NE of Witham. The parish comprises 1, 554 acres; and its post town is Kelvedon. Real property, £2, 554. Pop. in 1851, 717; in 1861, 655. Houses, 146. ...


The decrease of pop. was caused by the closing of a silk factory. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to J. H. Blood, Esq. Inworth Hall is now merely a modern farm house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £306. Patron, T. Poynder, Esq. The church is ancient but good; has a wooden belfry: is partly built with Roman bricks; and contains remains of a Roman tessellated pavement, and a piscina. There is a national school.

Inworth through time

Inworth is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Inworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inworth, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6789

Date accessed: 21st September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Inworth ".