Place:


Melverley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melverley like this:

MELVERLEY, a parish, with a village, in Atcham district, Salop; on the river Vyrnwy, at its influx to the Severn, at the boundary with Wales, 3 miles NNW of Westbury r. station, and 11 W by N of Shrewsbury, post-town, Kinnerley, under Oswestry. Acres, 1,418. Real property, £2,976. Pop., 214. ...


Houses, 50. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Major Edwards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value £177. Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is an ancient structure of wood and plaster, with a bell-turret; and was recently in bad condition. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £5.

Melverley through time

Melverley is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Melverley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melverley, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6786

Date accessed: 26th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Melverley ".