Place:


Layer Marney  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Layer Marney like this:

LAYER-MARNEY, a parish, with a village, in Lexden district, Essex; on a branch of the river Roman, 4¾ miles E by S of Kelvedon r. station, and 7 SW of Colchester. Post town, Kelvedon. Acres, 1, 973. Real property, £2, 078. Pop., 276. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged, in the time of Edward the Confessor, to the Bishop of London, and passed to the Tryons, the Tukes, the Marneys, and the Corsellises. Layer-Marney Hall was built, in 1530, by Henry, Lord Marney; was a very fine brick mansion, with diagonal lines of dark glazed bricks, and flint; and is represented now by only the great entrance tower, 70 feet high, with four octagonal corner turrets, and commanding a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £466.* Patron, the Rev. H. P. L. Blood. The church is later English; was made collegiate in 1330; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a brick tower; and contains a good screen and font, and handsome monuments of the Marneys and the Corsellises. There is a national school.

Layer Marney through time

Layer Marney is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Layer Marney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Layer Marney, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6778

Date accessed: 21st September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Layer Marney ".