Place:


High Laver  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Laver like this:

LAVER (HIGH), a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 4 miles N by W of Ongar, and 4½ SE by E of Harlow r. station. Post town, Ongar, under Brentwood. Acres, 1,894. Real property, £3, 024. Pop., 471. Houses, 95. The property is subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Essex hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. ...


Value, £500.* Patron, Capt. Budworth. The church is a plain low building, with tile roof, brick tower, and wooden spire; and contains a brass of 1500. The churchyard contains the grave of the philosopher John Locke, who resided in the parish during most of the last fourteen years of his life, and died at Oates manor house, then the seat of Sir Francis Masham.

High Laver through time

High Laver is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about High Laver itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Laver, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6772

Date accessed: 20th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " High Laver ".