Place:


Langford  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langford like this:

LANGFORD, a village and a parish in Maldon district, Essex. The village stands on the river Blackwater, near its confluence with the Chelmer, and adjacent to the Maldon railway, 1½ mile NW by N of Maldon; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Maldon. The parish comprises 1,076 acres. ...


Real property, £2,002. Pop., 279. Houses, 49. The property is subdivided. Langford Grove is a chief residence. The Blackwater here was anciently much broader than now; and was crossed by a long ford which gave name to the parish, and which was in use in the time of Edward the Confessor. The alluvial grounds formed by deposit of the river, and now meadow, are very fertile. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £294. * Patron, the Hon. F. Byron. The church is early Norman, in good condition; and has a wooden spire.

Langford through time

Langford is now part of Maldon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maldon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langford, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6766

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langford ".