Place:


Hazeleigh  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hazeleigh like this:

HAZELEIGH, a parish in Maldon district, Essex; 2½ miles SW of Maldon r. station. Post-town, Maldon. Acres, 1,630. Real property, £1,397. Pop., 106. Houses, 30. The manor-house, called the Hall, is now a farm-house. A stone coffin, about 6¾ feet long, containing a female skeleton, was dug up in a field here in 1838. The parish is a meet for the Essex Union hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £258. Patrons, H. S. Blake and B. Kerr, Esqs. The church is a primitive structure, chiefly of timber.

Hazeleigh through time

Hazeleigh is now part of Maldon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maldon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hazeleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hazeleigh, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6753

Date accessed: 19th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hazeleigh ".