Place:


Llys Wen  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llys Wen like this:

LLYSWEN, a parish in Hay district, Brecon; on the river Wye, at the boundary with Radnor, near Boughrood r. station, and 7 miles SW by W of Hay. It has a post office under Hereford. Acres, 2,067. Real property, £1,152. Pop., 226. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. A palace of the princes of South Wales was here. ...


Dderw was a seat of the Morgans. Llangoed Castle belongs to Sir J. R. Bailey, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £170.* Patron, Sir J. R. Bailey, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1863; is in the early English style; and has a W tower, designed to be surmounted by a spire. The rectory-house was built in 1865. There is national school.

Llys Wen through time

Llys Wen is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llys Wen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llys Wen, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6727

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llys Wen ".