Place:


Greenstead  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greenstead like this:

GREENSTEAD, a parish in Colchester district, Essex; near the river Roding, 1 mile W by N of Ongar r. station, and 8 NNW of Brentwood. Post town, Ongar. Acres, 1, 498. Real property, £1, 209. Pop., 125. Houses, 27. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. ...


Value, £280. * Patron, the Bishop of London in Trust. The church is one of the most ancient in England; was thoroughly restored in 1848; has a gave formed of half trunks of oaks, set uprinht, and close to one another, and supposed to have been erected as a temporary shrine for the body of St. Edmund; contains monuments to the Smyths, the Cleeves, and the Ords; and was found, at its restoration in 1848, to have a well preserved ancient piscina.

Greenstead through time

Greenstead is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greenstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greenstead, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6718

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greenstead ".