Place:


Elmstead  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elmstead like this:

ELMSTEAD, a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands near the Roman Stone-street, 2¾ miles SSE of Ardleigh r. station, and 4 E by N of Colchester; and has a post office under Colchester, and a fair on 15th May. The parish comprises 3, 644 acres. Real property, £5, 211. Pop., 953. Houses, 215. The property is subdivided. E. Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £310.* Patron, Jesus' College, Cambridge. The church is ancient; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Elmstead through time

Elmstead is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elmstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elmstead, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6699

Date accessed: 25th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Elmstead".