Place:


Llanwrin  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanwrin like this:

LLANWRIN, a township and a parish in Machynlletlh district, Montgomery. The township lies on the river Dovey, amid mountainous scenery, 3½ miles NE of Machynlleth r. station. The parish contains also the townships of Blaenglesyrch, Rhiwgwreiddyn, and Glynceiriog; and its Post town is Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire. ...


Acres, 10,351. Real property, £3,784. Pop., 720. Houses, 152. The property is subdivided. Mathavarn, now a farm-house, was the residence of Davydd Llwyd, the bard of the 15th century; and gave entertainment, for a night, to the Earl of Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., when on his way from Milford to Bosworth. The rocks include slate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £365.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Gwrin; measures 163 feet in length; and was restored in 1864. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £8.

Llanwrin through time

Llanwrin is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanwrin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanwrin, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6656

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanwrin ".