Place:


Copford  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Copford like this:

COPFORD, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Roman, 1½ mile E of Marks-Tey r. station, and 4 WSW of Colchester. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 2, 397. Real property, £4, 428. Pop., 775. Houses, 163. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Bishops of London. Copford Hall is the seat of the Harrisons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £680. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a Norman apse, and is good.

Copford through time

Copford is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Copford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Copford, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6645

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Copford ".