Place:


Llanmerewig  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanmerewig like this:

LLANMEREWIG, a parish in the district and county. of Montgomery; on the Oswestry and Newtown railway, adjacent to the river Severn and the Montgomery canal, 3½ miles NE by E of Newtown. Post town, Newtown. Acres, 978. Real property, £1,340. Pop., 148. Houses, 28. The property is divided among four. A Roman camp is at Giants Bank; and traces of a Roman road exist. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £133. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is good.

Llanmerewig through time

Llanmerewig is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanmerewig itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanmerewig, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6588

Date accessed: 21st January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanmerewig ".