Place:


Blackmore  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackmore like this:

BLACKMORE, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 3½ miles ESE of Chipping-Ongar r. station, and 4 NW by W of Ingatestone. It has a post office under Ingatestone, and a fair on 21 Aug. Acres, 2,576. Real property, £4,802. Pop., 644. Houses, 144. The property is divided among a few. An Augustinian priory was founded on the site of the manor house, by the De Sampfords, in the time of Henry II; passed, under Cardinal Wolsey, to his colleges at Oxford-and Ipswich, and afterwards to Waltham Abbey; and was given, at the dissolution, to John Smith. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £83. Patrons, the Representatives of the lateA. Crickett, Esq. The church belonged to the priory; and is ancient, small, and good. Charities, £54.

Blackmore through time

Blackmore is now part of Brentwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brentwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackmore, in Brentwood and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6543

Date accessed: 22nd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackmore ".