Place:


Abberton  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abberton like this:

ABBERTON, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Roman, 5 miles south of Colchester r. station. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 1,067. Real property, £1,574. Pop., 269. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £289.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is plain but good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Abberton through time

Abberton is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abberton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abberton, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6512

Date accessed: 16th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abberton ".