Place:


Llangywer  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangywer like this:

LLANGOWER, a parish comprising the townships of Llangower-Isafon and Llangower-Uwchafon in Bala district, Merioneth; on the E side of Bala lake, under the Berwyn mountains 2½ miles S by W of Bala r. station. lost town, Bala, under Corwen. Acres, 5,600. Real property, £881. Pop., 345. ...


Houses, 72. The property is divided among a few. Much of the surface is bare upland. Traces of a Roman camp are on Caer-Gai; and Roman tiles have been found there. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £136. * Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is dedicated to St. Gwyr, is good, and has a tower. E. Lloyd, author of "Meddyginiaeth," was rector.

Llangywer through time

Llangywer is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangywer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangywer, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6470

Date accessed: 04th August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangywer ".