Place:


Llangynyw  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangynyw like this:

LLANGYNIEW, a township and a parish in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The township lies on the river Einion, a little above its influx to the Vyrnwy, 2½ miles NE of Llanfair, and 7 W by N of Welshpool r. station. The parish contains also the townships of Cynhinfa, Gwaenynog-Isaf, and Malthyrafal; and its Post town is Llanfair-Caereinion, under Welshpool. ...


Acres, 4,513. Real property £5,991. Pop., 602. Houses, 119. A seat of the princes of Powys, and of the Viponts, stood here, and was burned in the time of King john. The land is hilly, but cultivated to the summits; and it includes some wood and some turbary. There are two ancient British camps. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £500.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English, and contains an ancient carved screen, an ancient font, and a tablet to the Welsh scholar, Dr. Evans. Parts of the chapelries of Pont-Dolanog and Pont-Robert are within the parish. There are chapels for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists, a national school, and charities £7.

Llangynyw through time

Llangynyw is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangynyw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangynyw, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6467

Date accessed: 02nd August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangynyw ".