Place:


Tilmanstone  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tilmanstone like this:

TILMANSTONE, a parish, with a village, in Eastry district, Kent; 5 miles W by S of Deal r. station. Post town, Sandwich. Acres, 1,124. Real property, £2,358-Pop., 405. Houses, 89. The manor has belonged, since the Saxon times, to the Archbishops of Canterbury. Dane Court is the seat of E. R. Rice, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £196* Patron, the Archbishop. The church is good.

Tilmanstone through time

Tilmanstone is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tilmanstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tilmanstone, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6448

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tilmanstone".