Place:


Wardle  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wardle like this:

WARDLE, a chapelry, with a village, in Rochdale parish, Lancashire; 2¾ miles NNE of Rochdale r. station. It was constituted in 1859; and it has a post-office under Rochdale. Pop., 2,176. Houses, 439. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200.* Patron, the Vicar of Smallbridge. The church is modern and cruciform, and has a tower and spire. There are two dissenting chapels and a national school.

Wardle through time

Wardle is now part of Rochdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rochdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wardle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wardle, in Rochdale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/644

Date accessed: 25th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wardle".