Place:


Teston  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Teston like this:

TESTON,-popularly Teeson,-a parish in Maidstone district, Kent; on the river Medway, 1½ mile NE of Wateringbury r. station, and 3½ SW by W of Maidstone. It has a post-office under Maidstone. Acres, 491. Real property, £1,800. Pop., 267. Houses, 55. Barham Court stands on the property of Lord Kingsdown, and is the seat of R. G. Kirkpatrick, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Earl of Gainsborough. The church is cruciform, and has an octagonal spire.

Teston through time

Teston is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Teston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Teston, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6437

Date accessed: 25th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Teston".