Place:


Swingfield  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swingfield like this:

SWINGFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Elham district, Kent; 3½ miles W by S of Ewell r. station, and 5 N of Folkestone. Post town, Canterbury. Acres, 2,638. Real property, £2,608. Pop., 418. houses, 70. A preceptory of the Knights of St. John was founded here in the time of Henry II., and has left interesting remains. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £54. Patron, the Rev. G.Lamotte. The church is good. Bishop Richard de Swingfield, who died in 1316, was a native.

Swingfield through time

Swingfield is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swingfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swingfield, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6436

Date accessed: 24th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Swingfield".