Place:


Stowting  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stowting like this:

STOUTING, a parish and a hundred in Kent. The parish lies 3 miles N of Westenhanger r. station, and 5 NNW of Hythe; and is in Elham district. Post town, Hythe. Acres, 1,624. Real property, £1,772. Pop., 213. Houses, 48. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £310.* Patron, the Rev. F. Wrench. The church is good. Charities, £18.-The hundred contains 5 parishes, and is in Shepway lathe. Acres, 7,991. Pop. in 1851, 1,625. Houses, 311.

Stowting through time

Stowting is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stowting itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stowting, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6423

Date accessed: 24th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stowting".