Place:


Stone  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stone like this:

STONE, a parish, with a village, in Tenterden district, Kent; 3 miles SW of Appledore r. station, and 4¾ NNE of Rye. It has a post-office under Rye. Acres, 3,042. Real property, £5,800. Pop., 422. Houses, 73. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £380. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter ofThe church is old. There are a dissenting chapel, and charities £32.

Stone through time

Stone is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stone, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6421

Date accessed: 15th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stone".