Stone  Kent


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stone like this:

STONE-near-DARTFORD, a parish, with a village, in Dartford district, Kent; on the North Kent railway, and the river Thames, 1 mile W by S of Greenhithe r. station, and 2 E by N of Dartford. It has a post-office under Dartford. Acres, 3,305; of which 305 are water. Real property, £6,830. Pop. ...

in 1851, 829; in 1861, 1,013. Houses, 188. The property is subdivided. The manor was given, by Ethelred, to the Bishops of Rochester. S. Castle was built in the time of King John; and is now represented by a small tower in an edifice of its own name, the residence of T. Cooper, Esq. There are numerous good mansions and recent villas. Fruit is extensively grown; and chalk and sand are dug. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £800.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church includes portions from transition Norman to later English. Charities, £6.

Stone through time

Stone is now part of Dartford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dartford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stone, in Dartford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stone".