Place:


Stockbury  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stockbury like this:

STOCKBURY, a parish, with a village, in Hollingbourn district, Kent; 2½ miles SSW of Newington r. station, and 4¾ WSW of Sittingbourne. It has a post-office under Sittingbourne. Acres, 2,940. Real property, £3,868. Pop., 613. Houses, 115. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £325.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is early English, cruciform, and good. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £15.

Stockbury through time

Stockbury is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stockbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stockbury, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6415

Date accessed: 30th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stockbury ".