Place:


South Crosland  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Crosland like this:

CROSSLAND (South), a hamlet, a township, and a chapelry in Almondbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies on the river Colne, 1½ mile SW of Berry-Brow r. station, and 3¼ SSW of Huddersfield. The township includes also Mag-lordship. Acres, 1, 560. Pop., 2, 794. Houses, 582. Many of the inhabitants are woollen weavers. ...


The chapelry is of less extent than the township; and was constituted in 1842. Post town, Berry Brow, under Huddersfield. Rated property, £5, 500. Pop., 2, 259. Houses, 462. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury. The church is tolerable; and there are a Methodist chapel, and charities £15.

South Crosland through time

South Crosland is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Crosland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Crosland, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/64

Date accessed: 24th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Crosland".